CA teacher-student romance back on despite charges
In this photo taken Friday, April 6, 2012 and provided by the Stanislaus County Sheriffs Dept., Christopher James Hooker is seen in Modesto, Calif. / AP Photo/Stanislaus County Sheriffs
(AP) MODESTO, Calif. - A California teenager who broke off a romance with her 41-year-old high school teacher after he was arrested on suspicion of sexually abusing another girl says the couple is now back together.
Eighteen-year-old Jordan Powers told KOVR-TV the relationship was back on Tuesday, and Powers' mother says she's cut off contact with her family.
Powers and former teacher Christopher James Hooker made national headlines when they announced their romance in February after meeting at Modesto's James Enochs High School. The news prompted police to investigate Hooker.
Earlier this month, Powers said she left him after he was arrested April 6 and charged with having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old girl in 1998.
But Tammie Powers told the Modesto Bee that Hooker called her daughter relentlessly and she eventually agreed to a reunion.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- TWA Flight 800 gets another look 17 years later
- America's endangered historic places 11 Photos
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- FBI: No sign of Jimmy Hoffa's body in Detroit suburb
- Taliban: We killed 4 U.S. troops at Afghan air base
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old
- Google asks FISA court to lift gag order on NSA requests
- Girl who lost feet in lawnmower gets prosthetics