Storm damages Iowa hospital; no injuries reported
(AP) CRESTON, Iowa - Emergency officials say an Iowa hospital has been damaged as a band of severe weather bears down on the region.
Union County Emergency Management Director Jo Anne Duckworth confirmed the Greater Regional Medical Center in Creston had been hit, but did not comment further.
Creston Mayor Warren Woods says a storm swept through the town of about 7,800 residents between 6:30 and 7 p.m. Saturday, damaging the northwest corner of the community. Woods wasn't aware of any injuries, but he also hadn't yet been briefed on the situation at the hospital.
A woman who answered the phone at the hospital said no one was hurt and the staff was working to move patients. It's not clear where they were being taken. Police and fire officials would not immediately comment.
Creston is about 75 miles southwest of Des Moines.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Massive tornado hits Okla. 60 Photos
- Mile-wide tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- Children rescued from elementary school in Okla. 11 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado carves trail of destruction Play Video
- At least 51 dead after massive Okla. tornado
- Severe tornado tears through Oklahoma City suburb Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado kills at least 51, including 20 children
- Record Fla. Powerball winner can't remain anonymous