Journalists, newsmakers react to Mike Wallace's passing
Journalists nationwide hailed the passing of legendary investigative reporter Mike Wallace.
"He loved being Mike Wallace. He loved the fact that if he
showed up for an interview, it made people nervous. ... He knew,
and he knew that everybody else knew, that he was going to get to
the truth. And that's what motivated him."
- CBS News chairman and "60 Minutes" executive producer Jeff Fager.
- CBS Corp. President and CEO Leslie Moonves.
- "Face the Nation" host Bob Schieffer.
- "60 Minutes" correspondent Morley Safer, in an essay about Wallace.
- Fox News Channel Chairman Roger Ailes.
"Every Sunday night, America tuned in to see what questions he
would ask and who would be exposed to his hard-charging quest for
the truth. Mike's tough questioning inspired generations of
- ABC News President Ben Sherwood.
Tough questions are being asked in Heaven today. RIP Mike Wallace
- Ann Curry, via Twitter
"There is one thing that Mike can do better than anybody else: With an angelic smile, he can ask a question that would get anyone else smashed in the face."
- the late Harry Reasoner
"My heart is broken today over the death of my dear friend Mike Wallace. My parents introduced me to Mike more than 75 years ago and we've been fast
friends ever since. ... Mike was an old school journalist and one of the most astute people I've ever met. The news business will be a different place now, and our lives will be forever changed for having known him."
- Former first lady Nancy Reagan
"My experience with Mike Wallace - integrity, charm, character. A
great one goes home."
- GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney
"Mike was a giant in news reporting and
analysis. His investigative reporting was legendary and his
participation in '60 Minutes' helped created a lasting
institution. Mike Wallace's life created a legacy young
reporters will study for years to come. The Wallace family is in
our prayers this Easter Sunday."
- Newt Gingrich, Republican presidential candidate and former Speaker of the House
"A true original. What an amazing career and remarkable man."
- CNN correspondent Anderson Cooper
"Mike's energy and nerve paced everyone at 'Sixty
Minutes.' His was the defining spirit of the show. He bounded
through the halls with joy at the prospect of the new, the true,
- ABC News anchor and former "60 Minutes" correspondent Diane Sawyer
"Mike Wallace was a dear &
wonderful friend. Not just a great broadcaster, but a great guy.
We will never see his likes again."
- Former CNN host Larry King
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Children rescued from two elementary schools in Oklahoma 19 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado recovery grinds on amid grim scenes 185 Comments
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- More severe weather expected after monster tornado
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado victim search efforts winding down