Calif. man cuts off his hand with kitchen knife
(AP) ADELANTO, Calif. - Investigators say a Southern California man deliberately cut off his hand with a kitchen knife, but it's not clear why.
A San Bernardino County sheriff's sergeant says deputies found the victim after responding to a 911 call from the man's Mojave Desert home on Wednesday afternoon. The man didn't place the call.
The Victorville Daily Press reports it's not clear why the man cut off his hand. It's not known if drugs were involved.
The man, whose name is being withheld, was taken to Loma Linda University Medical Center. There are no details about his condition or whether surgeons attempted to reattach the severed hand.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 123 Comments
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 326 Comments
- Deadly Angel Flight crash in upstate New York
- Frantic 911 calls reveal chaos in Okla., following tornado
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse