VP of tribe suing beer makers arrested
(AP) SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The vice president of an American Indian tribe suing some of the world's largest beer makers has been arrested and jailed for what police say was an alcohol-related incident.
A tribal court filing obtained by The Associated Press shows Thomas Poor Bear was arrested Feb. 19 on the Pine Ridge Reservation for obstructing government function while receiving treatment at a hospital.
Poor Bear of the Oglala Sioux Tribe told the AP Thursday the arrest was racially motivated and unrelated to alcohol.
A police officer notes in an arrest report that Poor Bear had "the odor of intoxicants on his breath" and a blood-alcohol content nearly quadruple the legal limit.
The Oglala Sioux Tribe has sued several beer makers, saying they are knowingly contributing to rampant alcoholism on the reservation.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 135 Comments
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 328 Comments
- Deadly Angel Flight crash in upstate New York
- Sandy-shocked Jersey Shore seeks summer comeback