Kittens discarded in cat food bag rescued by dog
Regan, the dog who saved the day by rescuing two kittens from a discarded cat food bag / WHOTV
WHOTV reports that the two kittens, named Tipper and Skipper, were sealed in a Meow Mix bag with the rest of the litter and then left in the street. The bag had been run over by a vehicle, killing some of the kittens and making it difficult to tell exactly how many cats were inside. Somehow, Tipper and Skipper survived. "It was not a pretty sight," Linda Blakely from Iowa's Raccoon Valley Animal Sanctuary said.
That's when Reagan stepped in. He grabbed the bag, and carried it home. He didn't stop whining until his owner opened the bag. Covered in the blood and remains of the kittens who were killed, she found two seriously injured survivors.
"The instinct of the dog was to nurture and not kill the kittens. With all the blood some dogs would have responded to the scent. Reagan the dog is a hero," Blakely said.
Tipper and Skipper were traumatized and weak from the experience, and had to be fed with a bottle every two hours. They have recovered, and are now available for adoption. Blakely believed their their survival is proof that there is always a way to make things right, and wanted to remind pet owners that there's always a safe method to finding a new home for pets if you are unable to take care of them.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Oklahoma tornado victim search efforts winding down
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Children rescued from two elementary schools in Oklahoma 19 Photos
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado victims mull next moves
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado recovery grinds on amid grim scenes 183 Comments