Sandusky accuser seeks to stop charity from folding
Former Penn State football defensive coordinator Gerald "Jerry" Sandusky is seen leaving the office of Centre County Magisterial District Judge Leslie A. Dutchcot in State College, Pa., Nov. 5, 2011. / AP Photo/The Patriot-News
The attorney for one of the alleged sex abuse victims of Jerry Sandusky filed an emergency motion in a Pennsylvania court Wednesday seeking to prevent the former Penn State football coach's charity for at-risk children from "dissipating or transferring its assets."
CBS News producer Pat Milton reports attorney Ben Andreozzi is seeking an injunction on behalf of his client, whom he said in court papers was "repeatedly sexually assaulted" by Sandusky, as well as other alleged victims to ensure that the organization is being "financially responsible."
Andreozzi said he took the step after learning that the organization, which Sandusky founded in 1977, was considering transferring its program and ceasing operations.
The New York Times reported last week that Second Mile "is preparing to fold as it tries to reconstruct what it knew, and did, about any suspicions or allegations against Sandusky over the years."
CEO David Woodle told the Times the charity is planning to transfer many of its programs to other non-profit organization.
Sandusky has been charged with 40 counts of sexually abusing young boys, and a grand jury report alleges that he met eight of his victims through the charity. More alleged victims have come forward since the grand jury findings were released and several victims are planning civil lawsuits against Second Mile and Penn State.
Sandusky's lawyer told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the former defensive coordinator faces two new claims of child sexual abuse, but that both are unfounded.
Joseph Amendola said one claim stemmed from a Sandusky family dispute, and he characterized the other as an example of people trying to mimic other allegations and "jump on the bandwagon."
"That doesn't surprise me because we believe there would be a number of copycat allegations, people who really maybe not even had direct contact with Jerry but ... try to jump on the bandwagon," Amendola said.
He said the accusations, should they result in charges, would be vigorously contended.
The Patriot-News of Harrisburg has reported that the pair of new claims were brought within the last two months.
"We'll defend those if and when they become charges," Amendola said. "We'll defend those just like we're defending the other charges."
Regarding the two new cases of alleged sexual abuse under investigation, a source close to the Sandusky case confirms to CBS News that "at least one of the children is a family member."
The source also told CBS that "the alleged inappropriate contact(s) purportedly occurred before the AG filed charges" against Sandusky, "although the allegations were made after the AG filed charges."
The source said the allegations were made "by an estranged family member who is involved in a divorce and custody proceeding."
Popular on CBSNews.com
- TWA Flight 800 gets another look 17 years later 87 Comments
- America's endangered historic places 11 Photos
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- FBI: No sign of Jimmy Hoffa's body in Detroit suburb
- Taliban: We killed 4 U.S. troops at Afghan air base
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old
- Serena Williams sorry for "what I supposedly said" on rape
- Google asks FISA court to lift gag order on NSA requests