Ex-cop was hiding in cabin across from sheriff's outpost
The cabin ex-cop fugitive Christopher Dorner is hiding in happens to be very close to command post from where San Bernardino authorities have been running their search operation, CBS correspondent John Miller reports.
Tuesday afternoon, authorities closed in on Dorner, who is wanted for three murders and has been on the run for over a week. The search for the former police officer, believed to be motivated by revenge, prompted a widespread manhunt that stretched from Big Bear, Calif., to the Mexico border.
Officers first sighted Dorner Tuesday afternoon in Big Bear, close to where they found his abandoned, burned out pickup truck a week ago.
Sources tell Miller Dorner is using a highpowered sniper rifle, a .50-caliber Barrett.
"This is an extraordinarily high-powered rifle, the kind that is used by the military," Miller reports.
SWAT teams and LAPD were on the scene Tuesday afternoon, and more SWAT resources were on their way to assist Bernardino.
- John Miller
John Miller is a senior correspondent for CBS News, with extensive experience in intelligence, law enforcement and journalism, including stints in the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the FBI.
- Okla. tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble
- 5/24: I-5 bridge collapses north of Seattle; "On the Road": Three siblings survive Okla. tornado
- The forecaster who sounded the alarm for Moore, Okla.
- I-5 bridge collapses north of Seattle
- Sibling rivalry takes a backseat after Okla. tornado
- Survivor of KKK Baptist Church bombing: "I had to forgive"
- On the road: Three siblings survive Okla. tornado
- Jersey Shore shop owners reopen for Memorial Day
- CBS News goes undercover in a Bangladesh clothing factory
- Survivor of Bangladesh factory collapse speaks out
- Man killed in brutal London attack
- Second London terror suspect identified
- Did Obama admin. know of IRS targeting during campaign?
- The power of a uniquely American song
- Resentment over wars may have motivated London terror attack
- Storm spotter: Oklahoma tornado "a nightmare"