Resources: Honor-based violence
Noor Almaleki was killed in October 2009 when her father ran her down with his car. Her murder was one of the first honor killing cases prosecuted in the United States. (Maricopa County Prosecutor's Office)
Although most common in the Middle East, South Asia and North Africa, honor violence and honor killings are now becoming more common in Europe, Canada and now the United States. According to the United Nations, an estimated 5,000+ women are murdered annually in the name of honor.
This fall the AHA Foundation launches the first national hotline for victims of forced marriage and honor violence.
For more information on honor violence and honor killing visit:
More from "48 Hours Mystery" and Crimesider:
- Ryan Ferguson's fight for freedom
- The Accuser
- A Fatal Attraction
- Secrets of the River
- Forbidden love ends with mother's violent murder
- fugitive @ hotmail.com
- The search for Mackenzie Cowell's killer
- The Preacher's Passion
- The search for fugitive Dr. Yazeed Essa
- Unraveling the lies of Jodi Arias
- "48 Hours" Program Schedule
- Murder at Sea?
- Sneak peek: Lina's Heart
- Over the Edge
- "48 Hours Mystery:" Rodney Alcala's Killing Game
- The real story behind Miami's murderous Sun Gym gang