Report: Obama won't visit Martha's Vineyard this summer
The Boston Globe reports that President Obama and his family won't be headed to the Vineyard this year, after vacationing there the past three summers.
"The word I have is that they are not coming this year," State Police Sergeant Thomas Medeiros told the Globe, adding that word came down from the Secret Service.
The past three summers, the Obamas stayed at a 28-acre waterfront estate in Chilmark; the estate was sold in November for $21.9 million.
Still, "I think the fun and the curiosity and the buzz that comes with this will be missed, quite frankly," Nancy Gardella, executive director of the Martha's Vineyard Chamber of Commerce, told the Globe.
Gardella added the White House had booked accommodations for August but canceled those plans in May.
Last year, the president was criticized by Republicans for vacationing among the elite. They said he should have been in Washington dealing with the ailing economy.
The White House didn't comment Monday on the president's vacation plans.