Chinese Crested Named World's Ugliest Dog
Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, left, the Democratic challenger to Republican Gov. Scott Walker in Wisconsin's recall election Tuesday, serves eggs at a dairy breakfast in the Town of Rockland, Wis., on Sunday, June 3, 2012. Next to him is Republican U.S. Rep. Reid Ribble. (AP Photo/Roger Schneider) / Roger Schneider
The pedigree Chinese crested won the World's Ugliest Dog contest on Saturday at the Sonoma-Marin Fair in Northern California.
His owner, Jeanenne Teed, brought Gus all the way from Florida, to compete for the dubious distinction
After the excitement of the moment, Teed characterized her dog's reaction: "Well, I think right now he's ready for a nap."
The Chinese crested breed is a popular choice in this annual contest. Last year's champ, Elwood, was a Chinese crested and Chihuahua mix.
Gus' owner won $500 and will be flown to New York to appear on "CBS This Morning." The event will be aired on the Animal Planet network in October.
Popular in Strange
- Adorable 2-year-old sings Pearl Jam
- Cats strutting their stuff and living large
- Super slow motion pistol shrimp attack is explosive
- Sights and sounds of Morocco through time-lapse
- Dead Giveaway: Ohio hero Charles Ramsey gets "songified"
- Seven ways to open wine bottle without corkscrew
- Are you my mom? Orphaned pig adopted by mother cat
- 4-year-old girl likely knows comics better than you
- Joe Jonas responds to dance invite with sexy video
- Add moments of beauty and serenity to your day
- Bluegrass rendition of Daft Punk's "One More Time"
- Time Lapse: Death Valley
- Fascinating footage after grizzly bear eats camera
- Clever cat opens five doors in a row to go outside
- YouTube marks birthday with music, comedy and cats
- "Raining Spiders" in Brazil